[ubuntu-uk] The Next Happy Hour - Thursday 8th December, Surbiton (west London)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:57:24 UTC 2011

On 13 November 2011 10:04, Alan Bell <alanbell at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the next Happy Hour will be on the 8th of December in Surbiton. A well
> connected part of West London with good train access to everywhere. The
> exact venue is yet to be determined, but the intrepid explorer Dan Fish has
> volunteered to take one for the team and go on a research expedition to
> explore suitability of the available options. He will let us know the venue
> just as soon as he recovers.

I'm game - Surbiton is fairly local for me.

I asked a friend who lives there for recommendations for (or against)
local hostelries. This was the result:

«
Name: Bosco Lounge Bar
Address: 9 St Marks Hill, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4LQ
Hotel / brasserie place. A gastro.

Name: The Coronation Hall
Address: St. Marks Hill, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4LQ
A grim Spoonie. Lots of room but did I mention it was grim?

Name: Corkys Wine Bar
Address: 12, Claremont Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4QU
Even grimmer than the Spoonie.  Fights. Avoid.

Name: The Surbiton Flyer   **
Address: 84 Victoria Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4PD
Right beside the station, turn left when you come out of the entrance.
Not that exciting but reasonable if a bit pricey. Usually seats going.
Gastro leanings.

Name: Duke of York  **
Address: 64-65 Victoria Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4NQ
Pricey gastro, but usually a reasonable atmosphere. Pleasant enough
place for a quiet midweek drink. Live music.

Name: The Victoria  **
Address: 28 Victoria Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4JT
Slightly more run down than the Duke, but friendly locals and staff.
Gets noisy when the footy is on TV. Youngs. Usually has some seats.

Name: The Antelope
Address: 87 Maple Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4AW
Footie pub. Never been in there. Looks rough from outside.

Name: Rubicon Bar **
Address: 97 Maple Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4AW
Expensive wine bar run by a cute blonde. Bar furniture looks like it's
been nicked from Blake’s 7. Quite like drinking in there occasionally
but it’s a bit up itself. Either quiet as the grave or full of media
types.

Name: Gordon Bennnett bar + kitchen **
Address: 75 Maple Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4AG
A "Sunday roast, newspapers, 3 bottles of wine and a Bloody Mary" type
gastro. OK in the afternoon, crowded Weds-Sat nights. Personally I
like it but service can be slow and the manager’s got a rep for being
grumpy although I've always thought he was okay.

Name: The Grove Tavern
Address: Grove Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 4BX
Similar to GBs above. A gastro, big beer garden with decking. OK, as I
recall but not been in there for 2 years.

Name: The Saucy Kettle
Address: 7 Brighton Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 5LX
Sporty and sticky. Empty in the week, rammed on Saturdays for big
screen footie.  Occasionally violent. There's a cheap and cheerful
Indian (cash meals half price, dodgy arse the next day) two doors up.

Name: The Black Lion
Address: 58 Brighton Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 5PL
Cheap, and quieter early in the week, bit rough occasionally. Beer OK
as I recall.

Name: The Lamb **
Address: 73 Brighton Rd, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 5NF
Good beer, not too pricey, but cheeseboards are the only food and they
are a bit pricey for what you get. Bit cramped if you’re a large
group. Always a few regulars on the same stools around the bar.
»

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com