[ubuntu-uk] Lost desktop not loading at startup

scoundrel50a scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:41:45 UTC 2011

On 09/11/11 17:57, Tony Pursell wrote:

> On 9 November 2011 11:56, scoundrel50a <scoundrel50a at gmail.com
> <mailto:scoundrel50a at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 09/11/11 10:50, Colin Law wrote:
>
>         On 9 November 2011 10:15, scoundrel50a<scoundrel50a at gmail.com
>         <mailto:scoundrel50a at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>
>             Anybody know how to get your multiple desktops back, after
>             all the problems
>             I got over, i still can get my dultiple desktops back, the
>             icon doesnt work,
>
>         This is apparently how to change the number of desktops (I
>         have not
>         tried it), perhaps yours has got set to just one.
>         http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1723321
>
>         Colin
>
>     Yeh I did that, and it says I have 6 desktops, but the Icon wont
>     work and I cant use them, just one window.....
>
>     John
>

> Just a thought, but can you navigate to them with keystrokes, i.e.
> Ctrl-Alt-(arrow-keys)
>

> Tony

Hi Tony, if you remember I said that using the Icon in the panel was not
an option it just didnt work so I couldnt bring up the desktops , but I
went back to Compiz>Desktop, and found that if I clicked on Expo, I
could use the icon again, and it bought back the
workspaces.......problem is, all this fiddling to get everything back
and working, the amount of buttons I pressed which stated what I was
pressing was in conflict with something or other (and this is what is
annoying, it doesnt give you an option to not change something) there
must be something somewhere that is still broken, and I have no clue
why......but I do now have the Panel and the bar at the top back, and I
can swap between windows, but dont ask me how that happened......there
needs to be a manual on compiz in 11.10, because I have seen quite a few
articles written about how you can so easily have your system broken
with compiz.....I was just glad that I was able to bring up the compiz
box....otherwise it might have been a new install.......

John