[ubuntu-uk] sony camers files

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 17:47:11 UTC 2011

On 9 Nov 2011, at 11:36, "Jon Reynolds" <maillist at jcrdevelopments.com> wrote:
<snip>
> The problem I am thinking about is how to best manage storage of RAW and
> JPEG... should I keep them all? Should I bin the RAWs after viewing the
> JPEGs and deciding not to do anything with them, but then risk at a later
> date wishing I hadn't binned the RAWs... can't keep everything I
> suppose... I have many Gb of photos just in JPEG. If I start duplicating
> every one with a RAW as well, I would need far too much storage space I
> think.

Best practice is to process and archive the RAW files (which some people convert to DNG instead.)  Only produce JPG files for the specific purpose you need them for (as the compression - and therefore quality - will vary according to purpose).

JPG is a lossy compressed format, and once discarded, the 'lost' data cannot be recovered for future re-editing. So archive the 'unspoilt' originals. (But do be ruthless about deleting rubbish!)

Of course, if you don't ever want to be bothered editing your images, rely on your camera's software to do it for you, and just shoot JPGs.  ( But you do then rely on the software engineers' knowing how you want your photos to look.)

mac