[ubuntu-uk] Lost desktop not loading at startup

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:14:42 UTC 2011

On 8 November 2011 19:52, scoundrel50a <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, a bit more,when I open a terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T and enter unity
> --reset it says unity-panel-service: no process found, goes through a few
> things of initializing, and stops and hangs

Get the terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T then type
ccsm
to run the compiz config settings manager.  If it appears then find
the Ubuntu Unity Plugin and if it is not enabled then enable it.

If ccsm is not installed then this may not be the problem, but in your
case I would try installing it
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
then run ccsm as above.

Colin