[ubuntu-uk] help needed testing upstream kernel

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Nov 7 22:21:18 UTC 2011

On 07/11/11 22:07, alan c wrote:
> Can somebody please offer some off list support to guide me through
> 'testing using the upstream kernel'?
> I found a bug re a particular webcam, which is being diagnosed, and I
> have been asked if I can test using the upstream kernel. There are
> some guidance notes, but I need help to get my head round it.
> I am willing to try, but not having done anything similar I want to
> avoid wasting lots of time or getting an invalid result.

It's pretty easy actually.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

That folder has a giant list of upstream kernels, both i386 and AMD64
builds.

This page describes how you do it:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds

With this bit being the specific part you need:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds#Installing_Mainline_Kernels

So what I'd do is:-

1) Figure out what version of kernel you're currently running with
"uname -a"
2) Look up the kernel on
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/info/kernel-version-map.html and
see which mainline one it maps to
3) Go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and find the
mainline one  you need
4) Download the files as per
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds#Installing_Mainline_Kernels to
a folder
5) Open a terminal and navigate to the folder where you downloaded the
kernel deb files to.
6) Use "sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb" to install them
7) Reboot to the new kernel (use shift at boot time to force dpkg to
show a menu) and test your device.

Cheers,
Al.