[ubuntu-uk] Video editing etc ....

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 22:37:38 UTC 2011

On 4 November 2011 21:46, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi there .....   I've been doing some work on video editing and making
> video DVDs.  I've found that Kino is the only app with firewire video
> capure.  This produces great raw dv files from the capture.  If I use Kino
> to edit, and then export the result, I get a very badly rendered output
> except when I choose QuickTime DV as the output format.  This behaves well,
> and gives me a file that I can work well with.
>
> I now find that I am making an edited DV file using Kino, and using DeVeDe
> to burn a Video DVD.  I have tried all the other video editing apps
> including PiTiVi and they either crash when a large (1 hour) clip is used,
> or they give poorly rendered output.  I am wanting Video DVD quality
> resolution.  Anyone else found this kind of problem?

Generally speaking, DVDs will be divided into shorter chapters which are
individual files in the build process. Converting an hour long video file
wlll make the average machine struggle as DVD conversion will use a lot of
space as most of it's done in memory and consequently swap. Look at a DVD
as a filesystem and you'll see multiple files that are linked by index
files.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood