[ubuntu-uk] heads up - Secure Boot Problems for Linux Users Are Here Already

James Morrissey morrissey.james1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:02:22 UTC 2011

Just to be clear here, isn't there some relevance to the secure boot.
I mean even in Linux systems you wouldn't want malware to install
itself onto the software which runs the firmware. Wouldn't such
malware a danger to all systems, be they Windows or Linux?

As such, as i understand it, the problem is not that MS are advocating
for secure boot. Instead its that while they do so they are not
insisting that the secure boot option be something that can be
overridden, or switched off, if the user wishes to install a piece of
software that they approve of. Instead MS are just insisting that it
be switched on at sale of Windows 8 machines.

So, while i agree that MS's approach to secure boot is
anti-competitive behavior wrapped up in narrative of security, having
secure boot systems that could easily - and i mean in a totally user
friendly way (ideally through a GUI) - be switched off would be a good
thing for all users.

To my mind the issue then lies with manufacturers who are not bound to
make secure boot unchangeable. MS aren't playing fair, but that's
nothing to be surprised by. With this in mind shouldn't pressure be on
making manufactrer's generate systems which allow the user both
security and the ability to choose their operating system. My sense is
this would be the best expenditure of our energies.

Is this right or have i missed something?