[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu User experience survey

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun May 29 10:13:54 UTC 2011

On 25/05/11 09:57, alan c wrote:
> On 25/05/11 09:23, Alan Bell wrote:
>>  On 25/05/11 09:03, alan c wrote:
>>>
>>>   I have sent it also to the users who I help as admin, they just use
>>>   Ubuntu like a toaster, they do no admin at all. I think they will not
>>>   understand many of the questions and the questions about installation
>>>   may completely stump them.
>>>
>>>   For me the survey  tone is set for an 'admin-user'. If Ubuntu is to
>>>   roll out to 200 million users in 4 years, I think there will be LOT
>>>   more non-admin end users out there.
>>  great feedback, I will ask Mackenzie to add some extra options on the
>>  install question for pre-installs and someone else installed it. Yes I
>>  don't think we would send out this survey in its current form to
>>  200,000,000 users!
>
> Might be too late for my own flock. My wife started to do it under a 3
> line whip and the first question from her (to me)  was
> 'What Ubuntu do I use?'
>
> (secret answer = Ubuntu)
> I do not have a lot of hope for the other 8 surveys I forwarded, but
> we will see.

Response from two friends who only use ubuntu on their laptops but are
very non techie

' the Ubuntu survey, I think it is a little beyond our scope Alan - it
seems a bit too technical for us'

So they were not confident enough to even attempt it, they have been
using only ubuntu for a couple of years and one had even gone into
John Lewes (Reading) asking for Ubuntu (another story).

I conclude that as Ubuntu rolls out to a wider user base, established
expectations, say, for surveys,  may need to be completely revisited.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user