[ubuntu-uk] Linux Awareness

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:27:58 UTC 2011

On 23/05/11 21:05, Dino T. wrote:
> Excellent, thanks. I plan on bringing up that Google use Ubuntu inhouse
> and have done since 2006 (that I'm aware of.) If you know of any huge
> companies that use it too, please let me know.'

Erm,

Pretty much every company of any notable size in the world uses
Linux/Open Source to a lesser or greater extent (it is the SME and
Public sectors that are dragging their heels on this one).

http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/03/gartner-oss-survey

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228136/open_source_software_is_now_a_norm_in_businesses.html

But to name a few...

The London Stock Exchange, The New York Stock Exchange, The Chicago
Mercantile Exchange (All __MASSIVE__ and very fast trading platforms
running on Linux).

 From what I can tell, all of the "web 2.0" businesses were built on
Open Source technologies and principles and run on Linux:

eBay, PayPAL, Facebook, Google etc etc.

Oh yes, how about all those Mobile phones that run Android? Even Apple's
OS X is built on Open Source core technology (although they chose the
most liberally licensed code - MIT/Apache - so they can take and do not
have to contribute).

There are also a few recent press releases from Canonical which mention
the French Police (70k desktops) and an Insurance Company in Germany.

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com