[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft proprietary file types?

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Mon May 23 21:09:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 00:14 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 20 May 2011 00:01, Daniel Case <danielcase10 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I'm a web designer and host, and I often get clients email with .doc,
> > .ppx and even .docx nowadays.... the question is, what should I be
> > doing about these people?
>
> Install an app that is capable of opening the files such as OpenOffice
> or LibreOffice, read their files without complaining, do their work
> and take their money. They're not asking you for advice on what
> software to run or file formats to use, they're asking you to deliver
> a service.
>
> You can of course 'push' open formats where appropriate, but don't let
> it get in the way of paying your rent and feeding yourself.

Agreed. And when you find a document that you can't open with
LibreOffice, file a bug with them: as highlighted by Michael Meeks at
FOSDEM earlier this year [1], they're on a crusade to make LibO able to
open any document you could think of. So any help they can get in the
form of bug reports will be welcome and will help everybody in the long
run.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Olx3EvJMl0

Bruno