[ubuntu-uk] Linux Awareness

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Mon May 23 13:41:52 UTC 2011

On 23/05/11 14:07, Dino T. wrote:
> Hi
>
> A friend and I are brainstorming on a 2 hour presentation to give to
> Universities and Colleges across Liverpool. To increase awareness and
> show students that they can save money using free/open source
> software. This is scheduled for around September 2011.
rather than focussing on saving money I would seek to explain about how
Free software can be economically transformative by allowing you to
redistribute it without counting the number of times you do so, thus
allowing you to scale things out without incurring crippling costs. Look
at huge server farms like google/facebook/twitter etc. or even the fact
that I have about 15 VMs on my laptop that I fire up to do work for
different customers. Give me a shout if you want some Natty CDs to hand
out (might not have many by September though)

Alan.