[ubuntu-uk] Falling off Active directory

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Sun May 22 12:36:07 UTC 2011

> Hi,
>
> We have a number of Ubuntu servers 10.04.
>
> They join to active directory run by Windows Server 2008 R2 very well.
>
> However it seems they appear to fall off or loose a connection with the AD
> servers. It took 9 days last time.
>
> There isn't anything useful in the logs to explain why.
>
> The only way previously was to reboot the machine, which is not really an
> option at times.
>
> We have just found that killing winbind and starting it again fixes the
> issue without have to reboot the server.
> Restarting winbind does not fix it it doesn't even appear to restart in the
> process list, seems more like a reload.
>
> We have tried many other solutions and none have they worked.
> Aside from making a really dodgy cron script to kill and start winbind
> every 7/8 days does anybody know of a fix/solution?
>
> Has anybody else had this problem?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Toby.

Could be a time issue.

AD authentication requires that the client time be pretty much the same as
the authenticating domain controller. Perhaps your Ubuntu boxen are slightly
out of sync, especially if they're virtualised?

Perhaps you could try run a daily cron job to sync your Ubuntu servers clock
to NTP on the domain controller with the PDC emulator role and see if that
helps?

Cheers,

Chris