[ubuntu-uk] Simple Unity guide for beginners

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat May 21 20:40:09 UTC 2011

On 21 May 2011 17:50, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> I've plumped for Ubuntu 11.04 and Unity on my friend's Dads laptop. I
> figured this was the best choice given the future direction of Ubuntu,
> and I can support him because I use it myself.
>
> As part of the PC build for my friend's Dad I've decided to write a
> short guide to Ubuntu / Unity for him. The goal is to cover the basics
> that a brand new user would need to know. It will include screenshots
> and a few website links for more info. I'd like to hope I can get this
> into only a few pages.
>
> Again I've got an etherpad document I've started to gather thoughts.
>
> http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/SimpleGuide

Such a document would certainly be welcome.

You might find
http://askubuntu.com/questions/10228/whats-the-right-terminology-for-unitys-ui-elements
and
http://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/unity-keyboard-mouse-shortcuts
useful, though probably only a very few of the keyboard shortcuts
should be included for beginners.

Colin