[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft proprietary file types?

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri May 20 10:24:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 11:02 +0100, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> On 20 May 2011 10:43, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On 20/05/2011 10:18, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>
>                 but I couldn't get him to even look at proper
>                 software, MS Publisher
>         The major problem with Publisher is that (AFAIK) there is
>         NOTHING that will open a .pub document, except, err,
>         Publisher. At least not that I've found in quite extensive
>         searching...
>

> I agree, Publisher is awful, incredibly out of date too. Possibly the
> last bastion of MS unoperability.
>
> --
> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> "Is this your sanderling?"

Two things because there always are:

Point 1: OOXML (ie docx) is an open file format, the fact that even
microsoft that control can't abide by it's rule (hey they created it) is
besides the point.  Also so is the fact that we would argue anything
control solely by microsoft can't true be open.  But suck it up.

Point 2: You take the job, you do good work, you get rewarded with
repeat custom, and you start to drop the penny that this open standard
would be much better to use, had they thought about the cost saving they
could get with things like Linux.....The only issue is once linux is
installed you start to lose work, you know not so many viruses, firewall
built-in and all that milarky.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk