[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft proprietary file types?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Fri May 20 08:50:52 UTC 2011

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Seems a bit complex for the average user, this is for applying for a
> teaching assistant job, i may not have an issue doing that but when
> filling these things in i have to add more rows, or my work / training
> history won't fit in.

Perhaps you're giving them more history than they want?

> so what format should electronic forms be in,

I've never had an issue with the PDFs. It does require that whoever
produces the form be aware of the ability to create insert boxes, though.

 > ok if we could fill in a
> form online and save it then go back in to modify and apply for specific
> jobs then this would be an ideal (and paperless ish)solution, but costly
> and unless its done right ends up more probematic and expensive, i like
> the nhs system, that works like this but seems to work.

It's not really costly - you just need to have someone in whatever
department it is that generates this sort of paperwork be able to
concoct a page that'll show a form and send an email. Or, better, show a
form and dump its contents to a db. Though I do question the need to be
able to go back and edit it, but perhaps I've only ever applied for
simple jobs.

--
Avi.