[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft proprietary file types?

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri May 20 08:38:09 UTC 2011

On 20/05/11 09:16, Dan Attwood wrote:

>  oddly a recent job gives me a pdf application form, i can either
>  fill in and send off by post, or fill in and e-mail, only as its pdf
>  it isn't editable unless i am missing something perhaps i should be
>  using adobe pdf suite (or what ever its called) to fill the form in.
>

>  you can set up pdf to have editable fields to allow poeple to fill
>  them.
>
>  However one way I've dealt with non editable ones in the past is to
>  load them into scribus and then drop text boxes on top where needed.

Seems a bit complex for the average user,  this is for applying for a
teaching assistant job,  i may not have an issue doing that but when
filling these things in i have to add more rows, or my work / training
history won't fit in.  they have sent me an application pack that has
the form in .doc and the newer one that actually seems to work properly
in open office.

so what format should electronic forms be in,  ok if we could fill in a
form online and save it then go back in to modify and apply for specific
jobs then this would be an ideal (and paperless ish)solution,  but
costly and unless its done right ends up more probematic and expensive,
i like the nhs system, that works like this but seems to work.

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day