[ubuntu-uk] updating from 10.04 to 11.04

SuperEngineer boosys at gmail.com
Thu May 19 20:23:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 10:53 +0100, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running 10.04 (lts) netbook edition. I'm really happy with it and
> I'm tempted to stay until the next LTS (if it's not broke, don't fix
> it) but so much talking about unity got me thinking.
>
> I initially had started with 10.10 but I did it too soon and I was
> getting too many problems with the original unity so I went back to
> 10.04 and stayed there.
>
> If I upgrade: would it be best if I go first to 10.10 and then to
> 11.04? or do I go directly to 11.04. I would rather do the former
> because I have a friend with 10.10 and is asking me if she should
> update to 11.04 (same netbook)... I want to try it first to guide her
> better.
>
> --
> Andrés Muñiz-Piniella

...or Dd what I did on my netbook... take the cowards, but simply
beautiful, way out and dual boot 10.04 & 11.04 on the netbook.  No risk,
try before you fly option. See which works best for you and your
friend.
Start by creating a live USB/CD to see if all ok... and then play!

If all seems ok... install as dual boot.  Copy important stuff from one
system to the other & see how you both get on.  See how Unity
progresses, see any (if aat all) probs for your netbook, see which
*suits* you best.

for what it's worth I am running (as dual systems) the above scenerio on
both desktop & netbook machines.  My [worth nothing] verdict... 11.04 is
good on netbooks and not [yet] so good as 10.04 on desktops... but i
'keep the [desktop] faith brother' ;)

good luck whichever method you choose.

Regards,

SuperEngineer