[ubuntu-uk] Unity and Unity-2d - middle click top panel [was Empathy and 11.04]

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed May 18 18:01:27 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011 16:40, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
> I'm a bit mystified. You replied twice with this comment - one thus,
> directly to me, with a carefully-trimmed quote:

So am I, and becoming more so, sadly.  See below.

> [[
> On 17 May 2011 17:33, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>> On 17 May 2011 17:29, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Did you know that you can middle-click on the title bar to send a
>>> window to the back of the stack? It's very handy. That is the one
>>> Linux feature I most miss when using Windows - I curse its absence
>>> several times an hour.
>>
>> I did not know this. Will have fun with that tonight.
>
> Sadly it is not yet implemented on Unity-2d, so I have to wait a bit for that.

This is referring to middle clicking on the title bar of a window, I
misread it and thought it was talking about the top panel rather than
the title bar.  I can confirm that middle clicking the title bar does
work on Unity and Unity 2D.

> ]]
>
> And also, earlier in the thread, to John S:
>
> [[
> On 16 May 2011 21:53, John Stevenson <john at jr0cket.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 16 May 2011 21:44, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a Unity question, not FF.  I am enquiring as to the best way
>>> to switch between windows within one app using Unity.  This was with
>>> respect to Alan's point that one could just select the other window
>>> rather than sliding the front one aside.  With the classic interface
>>> one could do this via the bottom panel (one click).  With Unity, to
>>> switch between open apps one can click the button on the launcher but
>>> I have not found a quick way to switch between multiple windows open
>>> for one app.  Generally I like Unity, though it is essential I think
>>> to learn the hot keys, but the multiple-windows-for-one-app problem is
>>> one that I am having trouble with.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>

>> When on the same workspace as the application, left click on the application
>> icon in the Unity launcher will display thumbnails of all open windows
>
> Are you sure, using Unity 2D it is double click that does this.
>

>> Cycle through all application windows on a workspace by middle mouse click
>> on the top panel - in the gap between the menu and the indicators

This is what I incorrectly thought we were talking about above.

> That is useful, unfortunately not yet implemented in Unity 2d, but no
> doubt it will come.
>
> Again, though, neither is anything like as convenient as clicking the
> app in the bottom panel.  Perhaps I just have to put up with this.

Here I was referring to the apps in the bottom panel in the Classic interface.

> ]]
>
> That's 2 different responses on 2 different subjects to 2 different people...?
>
> As far as I can see, it is the same feature. When I click on a
> non-menu bit of the top panel of a maximized application, it sends
> that app to behind any other open windows. It doesn't cycle through
> anything.
>
> I can't comment on whether /that/ works in Unity-2D, because on my
> installation, window-maximisation is broken. Maximised windows /both/
> have a title bar in the top panel /and/ a title bar of their own in
> the window. I can't tell why or what I changed to get this, and Google
> has drawn a complete blank. :¬(
>
> However, AFAICT, mid-click-to-send-to-back still works on maximised
> windows in Unity-2D, yes. It does the same thing as it does on my
> desktop running Unity 3D.

This is where I am now even more confused.  I have booted into Unity
regular to see what is supposed to happen.  Looking at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/28086/unity-keyboard-shortcuts

It says both:
Cycle between maximized windows of the current monitor for this
workspace: Middle click on the top panel (but not in the application's
menu)
and
Middle click on the top panel (but not the menu) - send the current
window behind all other windows.

which do not seem to be entirely self consistent.  In practice I find
that (on 3D) middle clicking the top panel on *maximised* windows does
cycle through maximised windows (though it seems to behave a little
strangely if both maximised and non-maximised windows are present) but
if only non-maximised windows are present it does not push them to the
back, which the second comment above would suggest happens.  That is
in Unity (3D).  I am just going to boot into 2D to see what
happens....

The result is that, on Unity-2D, middle click on the top panel does
nothing, whether windows are maximised or not (for me anyway).  So at
least I was correct in that *something* is not yet implemented in 2D.

So the question is, does anyone know exactly what should happen when
middle clicking the *top panel* in Unity and Unity-2D, both for