[ubuntu-uk] Race Online 2012 PCs shocker!

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Wed May 18 13:48:25 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011 13:05, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:

> So what can we do about this, I am currently helping at a youth music
> project that has now got 4 / 5 ubuntu computers up and running,  I am
> struggling to maintain what we have on zero budget

What help do you need and where?

> if we as a community want to promote Ubuntu and or Linux to the masses
> we need investment and money overall.

I'm not convinced about that statement.. but it has a slight ring of truth
to it.

> User groups want to do something, but may lack the funds to do so,  if
> we find a worth while cause we end up hitting a financial barrier,
>

> we need to promote the alternatives and actually BE THERE when people
> want help,  so we can support up to a point then if I am stick i need to
> be able to get someone who can help there ASAP to sort out the issue,

What it sounds like you need here is a way to ask for some help. The groups
I know need help are the ones that ask for it (like the recent email around
from the Nottingham hackspace)

> We need to educate people as to what is wrong with MS and word without
> making us look like some fundamentalist out of touch lunatics, so we
> need a proper argument, backed with evidence, backed with support,  find
> out the arguments against OSS and create counter arguments and provide a
> viable alternative.
>
> oh and people have full time jobs, so we need to do this when we have
> time and between other activities.
>
> perhaps one of the reasons that MS have jumped on this is because they
> can, they have the discs, have the books, have the support and can
> afford the infrastructure.   The OSS community can't so we lose out and
> will continue to do so. did canonical offer to do anything on this.
>
> we need to all work together, regardless of distro and really push what
> we believe in. so the alternative is viable.

Absolutley.

-Matt Daubney