[ubuntu-uk] Wacom bamboo tablets...

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Sun May 15 12:57:06 UTC 2011

On 15/05/2011 12:58, Timothy Rittman wrote:
> This topic has come up from time to time on the list, so I'm asking for
> a quick update! I am thinking of getting a wacom bamboo touch and pen to
> work with kubuntu 10.10. Does anyone have any experience as to whether
> it works and how well?

You can get the Wacom tablets working.  There are resources to help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom

and others.  And there are active developers, a leading one of which is

Favux (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=699990)

I haven't tried to install a Wacom tablet for a while.  With the help of
the resources I've indicated, I was able to get all the stylus and mouse
functionality working up to 10.04

And I was able to get most of the button functions working (I understand
this may have progressed by now.  But new versions of Ubuntu, and kernel
updates, have been known to break things.  Wacom tablets seem not to be
a priority for the OS developers, not surprisingly I suppose.)

I was never able to get the multiple sets of button functions that the
Wacom proprietary software provides.  But the tablet was highly
functional for use with, say, GIMP.

So I'd say read the resources above and give it a go.

mac