[ubuntu-uk] old computers

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 8 12:46:14 UTC 2011

On 8 May 2011 00:29, Phill Whiteside <phillw at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> I do recall one of the Lubuntu guys some time back saying that he had access
> to some older computers from within the UK (Shipping charges from abroad are
> prohibitive).
>
> Sii   http://www.thesii.org/ (I'm sorry it is not fully done, I am still
> awaiting the full charter in USA for it being a registered institute under
> Rule 1 and 3 of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charitable_organization#United_States )
>
> They are looking for about 6 computers that could run XP (that is the spec,
> not the OS!) , they need not be the highest class in the world as they would
> be joined together in a little server cluster. I've forgotten who it it said
> who could source some. My parents [1] will pay the collection of them and
> delivery as long as you package them up well to go through the parcel
> system.
>
> Oh, and by the way, these are the same parents[1] stumping up the $250 -
> $500 for the installation of a new area on a dedicated server for any ubuntu
> team to use (Heck, it was only about $14,000 for the 10 year deal [Derrick
> bought that] on which there will be a ubuntu 10.04LTS server fully hardened
> (by bodhi).
> Along with teaching areas for free whilst you are learning. It costs an
> horrendous $15 / year once you make a profit. We may have been 'bumped'
> upstream, but as a team we want to help.
>
> @UK, anyone got some some spare kit?
>

> If any one as has any further questions please feel free to ask.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phill.
> [1] A commercial site that all of the F/OSS people helped me on and I
> eventually got to http://mgjuddltd.co.uk/conformance.php

Spare, no. But if you can afford a very small amount, try this eBay vendor:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/computerdisposalsltd/

He has a whole bunch of machines like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fujitsu-Siemens-Celsius-R610-Xeon-3-06GHz-648MB-RAM-/270743834477?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3f09970f6d

... for just £30, and for even less:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Precision-530-Workstation-Xeon-1-7Ghz-512MB-RAM-/270744240408?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3f099d4118

... for £20.

These are really good PCs for the money. They will run full Ubuntu
very well indeed.

If you want a cluster, he also has dual-processor servers with 2GB of
RAM for £30.

Excellent value, I'd say.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com