[ubuntu-uk] 11,04 Broke My Wireless (surprised?)

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Tue May 3 12:03:03 UTC 2011

 On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:44:37 +0100, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 03/05/11 11:26, Jon Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Well, This is a bit of a rant I'm afraid... need to vent.
>>
>> <rant class="frustrated">What gives with wireless? Why is it such an
>> issue for Ubuntu? 'Almost' every time I perform an apt-get upgrade or
>> in this case, a distribution upgrade, my wireless breaks! I'm getting
>> really fed up of it.
>>
>> Now I don't want to be seen as whinging about something but not
>> helping to fix it, but it has been fixed in the past, as I have been
>> using wifi before on many previous versions on this hardware. But for
>> some reason, my particular wireless h/w, seems to get forgotten about
>> or lost or whatever whenever there is a major upgrade and I have to
>> wait, sometimes several weeks, for one of the upgrades to fix it. Or
>> try various different methods found by googling, which don't all work,
>> which I fear is cluttering up my system.
>>
>> I don't understand how if it is fixed, why that bit of code or
>> whatever it is doesn't just stay put.
>>
>> </rant>
>>
>> Right now, after an upgrade to 11,04, I have no wireless devices
>> detected. Its not that I can't connect, I don't even have any wlan
>> detected.
>>
>> Its a Realtek.
>>
> do lsusb in a terminal and let us know the full line that relates to
> your wireless device.
> Is this built in to some kind of laptop? Which model? If it is a
> certified model or the same wireless device is in a certified model
> then put that in the bug report.
> So far this is a rant with out much actionable information, lets get
> it to a reportable and fixable bug report.
>
> Alan.

  I will perform the actions on my computer tonight. Its a Samsung N130
  Netbook.

  There is someone with a similar problem on the forums:

  But their situation is better than mine, they at least have wireless
  hardware showing up.

  I will run that diagnostic script to get the same results.

  Thanks.
--

 Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
 http://www.jcrdevelopments.com