[ubuntu-uk] 11,04 Broke My Wireless (surprised?)

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Tue May 3 10:26:01 UTC 2011

 Well, This is a bit of a rant I'm afraid... need to vent.

 <rant class="frustrated">What gives with wireless? Why is it such an
 issue for Ubuntu? 'Almost' every time I perform an apt-get upgrade or in
 this case, a distribution upgrade, my wireless breaks! I'm getting
 really fed up of it.

 Now I don't want to be seen as whinging about something but not helping
 to fix it, but it has been fixed in the past, as I have been using wifi
 before on many previous versions on this hardware. But for some reason,
 my particular wireless h/w, seems to get forgotten about or lost or
 whatever whenever there is a major upgrade and I have to wait, sometimes
 several weeks, for one of the upgrades to fix it. Or try various
 different methods found by googling, which don't all work, which I fear
 is cluttering up my system.

 I don't understand how if it is fixed, why that bit of code or whatever
 it is doesn't just stay put.

 </rant>

 Right now, after an upgrade to 11,04, I have no wireless devices
 detected. Its not that I can't connect, I don't even have any wlan
 detected.

 Its a Realtek.

--

 Jon Reynolds (j0nr)