[ubuntu-uk] SATA drive problem .....

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 17:42:48 UTC 2011

On 18/03/11 17:03, Barry Drake wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 12:40 +0000, Matthew Daubney wrote:
>
>> I'd check if there's an update for the BIOS, I've seen various
>> drives/chipset configurations have weird issues over time :)
>
> Thanks.  There is an update.  But rather than risk frying my wife's
> motherboard, I've taken the easy way out for now and popped an IDE drive
> in to do backups.  It's barely big enough, so I'll probably look out for
> a bigger IDE drive and be done with it.
>
> Regards,		Barry.

You might find it could be an SATA cable.  Chances are you're not going
to find a big IDE drive easily now as everything is going down the route
of SATA.

You may however find that either a PCI (or PCI Express) SATA controller
or an IDE to SATA convertor may also do the job (it allows you to use an
SATA drive on an IDE connection)...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200853

Rob