[ubuntu-uk] Stuff appearing in Terminal, I dont know what it is......

John MM scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:47:02 UTC 2011

On 06/03/11 17:27, J Fernyhough wrote:
> On 6 March 2011 14:50, Grant Sewell<dcglug at thymox.co.uk>  wrote:
>> >
>> >  Unfortunately /var/lib/dpkg/status is quite an important file and (as
>> >  far as I am aware) there is no real way to re-generate it.  Essentially
>> >  it holds details of each package that's installed, and those that have
>> >  been installed and removed (but not purged), etc, etc.
>> >
> Having run Ubuntu+1 for a few years, manually clearing out
> /var/lib/dpkg has saved my install on a number of occasions. After
> doing a 'sudo rm -fR /var/lib/dpkg' package managers will complain
> about missing files and directories; it's a simple matter to mkdir and
> touch them back into place. After I update my sources (e.g. aptitude
> update) both aptitude and synaptic find the packages I already have
> installed and I'm up and running again.
>
>> >  Rule #1: Unless*you*  are 100% certain on what you are doing, never
>> >  *delete*  a file on your system that someone else tells you to delete.
>> >  Renaming the file is almost always good enough, and at least if you
>> >  rename it you have a chance of renaming it back again.
> Agreed.
>
> Jonathon

And this is supposed to help me now how? You gave me an instruction then
dissappeared, and it looks to me that you werent even going to help,
your just pointing out what you do to the OP. Thanks I really appreciate
you leaving me in lurch. I would suggest that unless you are prepared to
give help if something goes wrong, dont. It doesnt help. It causes huge
amounts of stress. Thank you I really appreciate, I was on the verge of
almost having to do a fresh install, because of you. Way to go.