[ubuntu-uk] Stuff appearing in Terminal, I dont know what it is......

John MM scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:06:00 UTC 2011

On 06/03/11 14:50, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Unfortunately /var/lib/dpkg/status is quite an important file and (as
> far as I am aware) there is no real way to re-generate it.  Essentially
> it holds details of each package that's installed, and those that have
> been installed and removed (but not purged), etc, etc.
>
> You may be able to get back to a semi-usable system is the
> file /var/lib/dpkg/status-old is still present - it is (obviously) an
> older version of the file so it may not be completely up to date, but
> if you duplicate that you*should*  get a usable system.
>
> Rule #1: Unless*you*  are 100% certain on what you are doing, never
> *delete*  a file on your system that someone else tells you to delete.
> Renaming the file is almost always good enough, and at least if you
> rename it you have a chance of renaming it back again.
>
> So, try this:
> $ sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Grant

Hi, thank you for your message, I really appreciate it. Well, it looks
like its not going to work, I used the command you gave me, and I still
get the

'InstallArchives failed'

I get this message when trying to install from synaptic.

'E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'libbz2-1.0'.Please see
man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

I take it the only way now is to fresh install?