[ubuntu-uk] Strange file sharing problem

John MM scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 18:51:13 UTC 2011

On 05/03/11 18:35, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> If you've not changed it (based on reading I doubt you have) the domain
> is probably "WORKGROUP".
>
> You username/password for your Ubuntu shares will be whatever user you
> assigned to the shares in the smb.conf file (the "valid users = timmy
> johnny" line), I have no idea how any of the graphical tools do this  if
> you've set it to "guest ok = yes" then you can just login with the Guest
> user account (no password, username Guest I seem to recall... though
> there might be a "Sign in as guest" button. There is on OS X)
>
> For your Windows shares, it'll be the username/password of the person
> who owns the share. So to connect to my Win7 shares I user the username
> "matt" and my windows password as the password.
>
> Hope that helps you a bit further along the track.
>
> -Matt Daubney

Oh, and as well as the terminal command, we also worked out the ufw
firewall was stopping this machine from being seen. Even with new rules
I added it still wouldnt work, I didnt even know I had a firewall turned
on. ufw has now been stopped. I know nothing about Ubuntu firewalls, and
couldnt even guess what I would need to do to fix the problem I am going
to habve not use it. Until I can find somebody that can get it to work.