[ubuntu-uk] Strange file sharing problem

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:18:59 UTC 2011

On 4 March 2011 07:37, John MM <scoundrel50a at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/03/11 07:09, Simon Greenwood wrote:
>
>> Check that you can ping either computer each way, that SMB sharing is set
>> up on your netbook - it isn't installed by default as Gordon has pointed
>> out, and you'll have to search for Samba in the Software Centre.
>>
>> s/
>>

> Appologies, just woke up, forget what I just said about the directories
> inside samba directory, the ones I want to share have no locks. I'm
> wondering, what are the permissions/ownership for the samba directory
> itself? Maybe that is why I cant see in the samba directory.

The samba directory should be owned by root. Everything else looks correct
from your ls output. Your shared folders should be owned by you.

In Windows, a machine's user has defacto admin rights. The question that
Vista and Windows 7 asks about making changes to your system when you
install something is essentially granting you permission to do something to
the system.

Ubuntu is a Linux-derived operating system that takes its permissions
structure from Unix. On an Ubuntu desktop you are a non-privileged user who
has the right to make changes to the system using sudo. When you need to
make changes, you are asked to enter your password, which gives you
temporary administrator privileges. System level files are owned by the
administrator, and generally, you shouldn't have to do anything with them
unless you have a problem like this. If you look at them using the file
browser, they will appear to be locked. Broadly speaking, the only place
that files shouldn't be locked is in your home directory.

Now, to test connectivity between your machines.  Make sure that they are
connected to your router either by cable or wireless. You will need to know
their names. On one machine, open Terminal and type 'ping' and the name of
the other machine. You might have to enter <machinename>.local. You should
see output like this:

PING machine.local (192.168.0.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from machine.local (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.117 ms
64 bytes from machine.local (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.139 ms
64 bytes from machine.local (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.131 ms
64 bytes from machine.local (192.168.0.2): icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.114 ms

If you don't see that, then you have sort out your connectivity.

I need to get some work done now and I really would suggest that if you need
to understand the differences between Windows and Ubuntu, that you read
this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows and
the pages linked to it. Again, I'm not trying to fob you off, but I don't
think that this list is the place to talk about the basics. In my opinion
Ubuntu is the best desktop distribution of Linux but it's not completely a
drop-in replacement yet, and you do need to understand a few concepts.

Simon

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
My CV: http://bit.ly/sfg <http://bit.ly/sfgreenwood_cv>_new_cv