[ubuntu-uk] public services

john beddard john at kernelnetworks.com
Sun Jun 26 09:34:15 UTC 2011

Yes Alan,

Successful products/ developments today are customer inclusive.
Including them at the LoCo level is a good idea. Although how skilfully
this can be done requires some consideration.

My experience is that local government (Councils) are desperate to
discover and become a part of the technology/ internet scene and learn
how it works. Having invested largely in other now declining sectors
over the past 20 years, for example retail. The emphasis is shifting
back towards a 'skills based' rather than a consumer-based economy.

My sense is that social enterprise would provide the most interested
people. Since their approach is similar to that of the open-source
community. Plus the fact they already have a 'change-mindset.'In wanting
to serve the community with ideas that originally came from a minority
base : like Ubuntu.

John