[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Ronnie Tucker ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 01:45:27 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 22:07, alan c wrote:
> On 24/06/11 17:21, Ronnie Tucker wrote:
>> How about a site/page where people who have Ubuntu installed could go
>> for help. This site/page would have volunteers logged in and waiting for
>> folks needing help
>
> This sounds pretty close to Ubuntuforums to me. I use this frequently
> to give support to others and also to  get support for myself. I
> prefer Ubuntuforums more than IRC. I have found IRC to be very useful
> on times I have used it, but I find it pretty cryptic to get it all
> started correctly and I do not really understand what is connecting
> etc. Now if I feel intimidated by the IRC cryptic clunkiness, I am
> sure that real newcomers will be uncomfortable. Forums are seen a lot
> in Windows World, and have a familiarity.
True, but the main difference in my suggestion is that it involves
one-to-one help through remote access where you can physically show the
person how to do something. Rather than the forum post by post method
which can take a while to get things done/explained properly. Some
beginners just don't know how to explain what/where the problem is.

> I use teamviewer a lot to help remote friends (non commercial) and
> although I dislike the proprietary-ness of teamviewer it works well,
> and can be installed into a live session.
Yeah, something like that would be great for helping folks.

--
*Ronnie*