[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 19:28:51 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 13:47, Alan Bell wrote:
> stuff not in London is probably a bit of a weakness. London is kind of
> convenient by train from everywhere so it is generally a reasonable
> place to do things, but I think it would be great for people in other
> cities to organise things local to them. That might be pub/cafe meetups,
> geeknics, installfests, talks at LUG meetings etc.

I would say London is inconvenient for me, yes there are reasonable
train links, but I'd rather not spend 3 hours on a train there and
another 3 hours back.

So having something a bit more local would be great.  At the moment we
have LUG meetings in Devon (now covering areas which are accessable
reasonably well from all areas of Devon and into Cornwall).  We're
finding that we are getting new members at near enough every meeting (at
the last Paignton one, someone saw a poster where we were meeting and
came and spoke to us).

Hopefully as we go along we can include install fests (we've done a
couple of installs in Exeter but came across a problem of the desktop we
were installing on didn't have wifi, so we had to end up doing a home
visit).

Would be great if we could get some visits from other Ubuntu-UK members
too (although I'd guess if you happen to be on holiday in Torquay with
your family the last thing your other half would want is you going to a
geeky LUG meet!).

Rob