[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

scoundrel50a scoundrel50a at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:28:03 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 13:16, Alan Bell wrote:
> On 24/06/11 13:04, scoundrel50a wrote:
>>
>> Well, I was thinking more about continuation of support from the IRC
>> channels. You know most people on there are legit.
> no, you don't.

Ok, I can name about half a dozen people on IRC Ubuntu-uk that are
trustworthy, that I know from personal experience. So, I am not why you
say that isnt true.......

>> So after a certain period of time, for a sum, if it is getting
>> nowhere on the channel, paid support could be offered.
>>
>> John
>>
> The way I see it is that the LoCo provides free, open, peer reviewed
> advice. The questions are open, the answers are open, people can point
> out bad answers to things. People not involved in the conversation can
> learn from it.
>
> If someone wants to ask a question in private and get a personal
> answer, perhaps with money changing hands, then that is totally
> awesome and we should support that, but doing it isn't a LoCo activity
> as such, it is a private transaction. I am all in favour of there
> being a healthy support ecosystem around Ubuntu in the UK and I think
> the LoCo should support companies and sole traders, but not be one.
>
> Does that distinction make sense?
>
> Alan.

In some experiences I have had and seen of others, sometimes things get
really frustrating, for whatever reasons, and isnt helpful to anybody. I
have had experience where somebody has accessed my computer, and in
minutes has either sorted out a problem that has been taking ages on
irc, and got nowhere. or the same problem has been diagnosed as being
impossible to fix. If it hadnt been taken off irc, it would still be
open and not fixed. I wouldnt ask for private conversations, at least
not paid ones. I can see what your talking about, but am not sure I
understand why.

I think there is a gap from the block help that some people are able to
give, and individuals that dont have support, and was just trying to
offer a suggestion....sorry.