[ubuntu-uk] What aren't we doing? What should we be doing?

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 24 12:16:27 UTC 2011

On 24/06/11 13:04, scoundrel50a wrote:

> Well, I was thinking more about continuation of support from the IRC
> channels. You know most people on there are legit.
no, you don't.
> So after a certain period of time, for a sum, if it is getting nowhere
> on the channel, paid support could be offered.
>
> John

The way I see it is that the LoCo provides free, open, peer reviewed
advice. The questions are open, the answers are open, people can point
out bad answers to things. People not involved in the conversation can
learn from it.

If someone wants to ask a question in private and get a personal answer,
perhaps with money changing hands, then that is totally awesome and we
should support that, but doing it isn't a LoCo activity as such, it is a
private transaction. I am all in favour of there being a healthy support
ecosystem around Ubuntu in the UK and I think the LoCo should support
companies and sole traders, but not be one.

Does that distinction make sense?

Alan.