[ubuntu-uk] School websites

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 09:12:38 UTC 2011

On 24/06/2011 10:03, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
<snip>
> Not so. How can the IT dept evaluate a FINANCIAL reporting application?
> Especially an internationally-recognised market leader? The IT dept is a
> SERVICE dept. If the MD says "I want such and such a software because I
> think we can benefit from it, the IT dept shouldn't throw a hissy fit
> just because the MD didn't consult them about what software HE wants -
> they should buckle down and install it.

Well, I guess the MD has an IT dept to advise him/her on technical
matters.  So surely the process should be:  finance guys want to be able
to do some stuff, and they find a package that will do it;  finance and
IT *discuss* whether the package will do the job cost-effectively and
will integrate into IT systems OK;  finance and IT reach an agreed
decision (or escalate to Board/MD if they can't).

The problem here seems to be substituting a playground brawl for a
decision process:  "I want this, so do it!" versus "You didn't ask me,
so shan't!"  What a catastrophic way for a business to work!

mac