[ubuntu-uk] Dad's Computer - for want of a better subject

Dave Hanson dave at hansonforensics.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 10:32:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Jon Reynolds
<maillist at jcrdevelopments.com>wrote:

> I have to follow up on my Dad's computer situation. I previously posted
> about how he bought MS Office rather than use OpenOffice etc.
>
> Well his computer then crashed again. He took it to the local shop (a small
> outfit, which is nice and a bit personal) who eventually diagnosed a faulty
> motherboard. They offered to rebuild the computer with some spares from
> another computer.
>
> Anyway, when it returned, it had Vista on it! I am just wondering the
> following:
>
> 1. Why on Earth did they choose to put Vista on there??
>
> 2. If the machine was struggling with XP, why put something more demanding
> on there?? (and if they argue the new bits are more powerful, then why then
> cripple them again with something more demanding?)
>
> 3. Wouldn't he have needed to buy a new license for Vista or would his
> existing XP license cover him (I somehow doubt it)?
>
> 4. If they charge him for a license, they certainly didn't ask him if he
> wanted Vista!
>
> I find this amazing. Suddenly my opinion of these guys has dropped. Shame
> as they are nice and helpful by the sounds of it, coming out to his house to
> help.
>
> --
>

> Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
> http://www.jcrdevelopments.com

I think it may just be easier for companies like that to do a complete
re-install rather than diagnose the actual problem and blame it on dodgy
hardware, as for the Vista install, if they did actually take the parts from
another PC perhaps they switched the license over and scrapped the other PC
- perhaps they thought they were doing him a favour by giving him a more up
to date OS. I'd certainly check that the license is valid with someone (Not
sure who, Microsoft?) as there may be a load of computers in your area all
running the same Vista install - they won't be able to get licences for free
will they?

--
Best Regards,

Dave Hanson