[ubuntu-uk] Dad's Computer - for want of a better subject

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Jun 22 08:37:55 UTC 2011

On 22 June 2011 09:16, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:

> I thought when pressed for a definition, MS decreed that the part of the
> computer the license was tied to was the motherboard, but I've never had
> cause to find out for sure.

No, the automatic online activation may not work (due to the hardware
changes) but if you phone the Microsoft activation line and explain the
situation they will let it through as they're not stupid - they know that
people will have blown motherboards etc. and need to replace them.

Much as some of the most rabid "Microsoft haters" might try to make it out,
Microsoft are not deliberately trying to make life difficult for people.
They are just trying to protect their investment against pirates and, in all
my dealings with them, are perfectly reasonable if you explain the situation
to them.

Personally in this situation I would phone the PC shop and ask them to
remove Vista and re-install the original version of XP.   If they argue that
they will not do this, then do it yourself - you probably have CDs that came
with the PC, but if not it should be relatively easy to borrow one and do it
yourself (assuming the licence key is still attached to the machine and they
haven't airblasted that off or something) quite legitimately.

Sean