[ubuntu-uk] Dad's Computer - for want of a better subject

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Wed Jun 22 08:14:41 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:59:45 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Jon Reynolds wrote:
>> 1. Why on Earth did they choose to put Vista on there??
> Perhaps because a new board supposedly means a new install of Windows
> and you're not supposed to be using XP licenses any more. Perhaps
> they're also tired of supporting an OS that's way past end-of-life.

 Is XP no longer sold (now I think about it that may be obvious!)? What
 about all the people and businesses who are not ready/capable of
 supporting/running Win7? Are existing XP license holders not able to
 have their PCs repaired and continue using their XP License? That's
 rubbish!!

> Did you ask them?

 No, just had an email from my Dad today.

>> 3. Wouldn't he have needed to buy a new license for Vista or would
>> his
>> existing XP license cover him (I somehow doubt it)?
>
> Yeah, he would have needed a new license.

 So is Vista still sold then? I wonder if they told him they were going
 to put it on?

 Either way, I wish my Dad would just let me put Ubuntu on there and
 just LEARN to use OOo instead of MSO... stubborn git! :)

--

 Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
 http://www.jcrdevelopments.com