[ubuntu-uk] School websites

gazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 13:52:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:01 +0100, Dan Attwood wrote:

>         This must be a pretty common problem - most schools, I
>         imagine, want
>         roughly the same bits and pieces on their site. Does there not
>         already
>         exist a plug-and-play school website where, as Wordpress is
>         for blogs,
>         they can just install it and get a quite agreeable website in
>         about
>         fifteen minutes?
>

> The edugeek site has a custom version of Joomla available that aims to
> do this
>

> You'd still need the skill in house to set, use and administrate
> Joomla though. Which as noted above may not be present

I had 3 reps from primary schools at the last Wordpress training session
I did in Redbridge - Wordpress is a lot to bite off though for
non-techies. Two of them managed to get Wordpress up and get a basic
grasp of how to edit it in a day but a third was struggling helplessly.
We provide the monthly free volunteer help sessions for people but
Ilford is a long way from Tower Bridge.

That training was funded by the local council - of course, funding for
this kind of thing is much thinner on the ground now. I'm probably going
to have to start charging for a lot of the training we used to do for
free. We'll hold on to the free monthly sessions though, and try to get
a bit of funding to pay back volunteer's transport costs etc.

I've been thinking about developing the remote element a bit more -
having people who aren't present at Fossbox be able to help out more,
but not sure how this would work. We've tried before but it was hard to
manage because we get so busy I tend to 'forget' about people who aren't
there clamouring in person! Would need to organise someone to manage
this aspect. Apologies to people who offered this kind of help but
didn't really get it taken up properly - I'm thinking about how this
could work better.

There's no getting away from it, people need help.

Paula