[ubuntu-uk] School websites

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Mon Jun 20 09:56:05 UTC 2011

Sarah Chard wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 08:27 +0100, Jon Reynolds wrote:
>
>> Well I was thinking perhaps I should approach them and offer to do
>> them a new website (my contribution towards PTA and all that) :)
>>
>> I think a very simple Drupal installation would be worlds apart
>> from what they have today.
>
> now that sounds like a good idea - perhaps this would be a way for
> all of you who are parents to talk to your children's schools about
> open source  - if the websites are badly designed or could do with a
> make-over then why not offer to help

This must be a pretty common problem - most schools, I imagine, want
roughly the same bits and pieces on their site. Does there not already
exist a plug-and-play school website where, as Wordpress is for blogs,
they can just install it and get a quite agreeable website in about
fifteen minutes?

Perhaps a drupal module or something is a better place to do it?

Either way I'd rather see concerted effort to solve what is apparently
an endemic problem than individuals individually patching its symptoms.

--
Avi