[ubuntu-uk] School websites

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:41:42 UTC 2011

On 17/06/11 14:33, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> I've just had a look at my little un's school website and the first
> thing that stop you doing anything useful, i.e. like using the
> navigation menu, is the fact that for some (cannot imagine) reason, it
> is required to install Java on your machine, just so you can use the
> navigation links??
>
> WHY would they do this? Is this a serious case for giving someone some
> education? The simplest of things - a navmenu, why should I install (and
> run) Java just to access a menu to another (probably) static web page?!?
>
> http://www.harlingtonlower.beds.sch.uk/
>
> (created in FrontPage)

That is an abysmal website - looks like something from the early days of
the Internet...

The validator doesn't like it much either:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harlingtonlower.beds.sch.uk%2F+&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harlingtonlower.beds.sch.uk%2F&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en

There are quite a few MSO objects scattered around the code.

Bleugyhhhh

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com