[ubuntu-uk] Libre Office and Thunderbird Addressbook

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 08:24:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 22:31 +0100, Bruno Girin wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 22:22 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> > > Could you provide a link to the bug report please?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Colin
> > >
> > It's not a bug, it's the way Canonical add the Office suite to Ubuntu.
> > It's been going on for years with Open Office and now they've done the
> > same with LO...
> > If you use Evolution then OO (or LO I presume, I uninstall Evolution
> > because I never use it) will use the Evolution Addressbook but not
> > anything else.
> > If you uninstall the Canonical-supplied Office suite and install direct
> > from OO ot LO then the TBird addressbook can be used as a data source.
>
> Have you tried to install the mozilla-libreoffice package after you
> install Thunderbird? Note that I don't use Thunderbird so don't know if
> it will fix your problem.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruno

Gordon

As a canonical employee I can tell you it is a bug, it is either a bug
in that Ubuntu doesn't package something that is latter relied on by TB
LO or it is a packaging issue with the way LO is integrated.  Either way
it is a BUG!

If it is a software issue and it effects you it is a BUG! Whether it be
something that is missed out intentionally or accidentally, whether it
is an issue with the code or lack of code etc etc etc it is a bug!

Please file a bug then the developers working on OO.o/LO will know about
it until then they don't, their only reference on if they do a good job
of packaging and integrating LO in to Ubuntu is the increase or lack of
bugs.  I can't stipulate this enough if it works with the LO download
and doesn't in Ubuntu it is a BUG, please please please report it on
Launchpad so the developers are aware of it even if it is marked as a
duplicate of an older bug, it is important that someone say it effects
them in Natty.

P.S. When you do the install direct from LO you'll find out that it
included a load of stuff that isn't covered in the Ubuntu package in
order to maintain the package size, for example OO.o couldn't do a html
page layout without installing SUN's (at the time) version of Java there
are plenty of other things too but I think you'll get the drift.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk