[ubuntu-uk] What's In A Name?

Grant Sewell dcglug at thymox.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 17:52:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:44:32 +0100
Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > I would dispute this.  Not the part that says that people won't turn
> > to Linux - I agree (at the moment) with that wholesale.  I disagree
> > that people will turn to Mac.
>
> I thought it was generally accepted that Apple won big-time on the
> 'personal' desktop/laptop front from Vista? It was a coincidence of
> some genuinely good products from Apple, some good marketing from
> Apple and a universally despised product from MS.

Maybe I should have been more explicit.  I do not believe that enough
people would chose to move to Mac to cause any real problems for either
Microsoft or those shops providing Microsoft-only PCs.

I realise that a large number of (quite vocal) people did move over to
Apple with the release of Windows Vista, but was it enough to have a
significant impact on the market?  If so, I certainly didn't notice it.

Grant.