[ubuntu-uk] What's In A Name?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Mon Jun 13 07:44:32 UTC 2011

Grant Sewell wrote:
> I would dispute this.  Not the part that says that people won't turn
> to Linux - I agree (at the moment) with that wholesale.  I disagree
> that people will turn to Mac.

I thought it was generally accepted that Apple won big-time on the
'personal' desktop/laptop front from Vista? It was a coincidence of some
genuinely good products from Apple, some good marketing from Apple and a
universally despised product from MS.

That said, a brief search on Google turns up nothing to support this
claim, but I do remember it being made repeatedly at the time.

> it is called "Ubuntu 11.04", it is *not* officially called "Ubuntu
> Natty Narwhal". Mac was codenamed "Snow Leopard" until it was
> officially released, where-upon it became "OSX 10.6".

Really? I thought both 'Natty Narwhal' and 'Snow Leopard' are names
intended to survive post-release. Certainly Apple is talking about 'OSX
Lion' in the store, though I've just noticed a distinct lack of 'Natty'
on ubuntu.com.

--
Avi.