[ubuntu-uk] What's in a name?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Jun 11 21:43:26 UTC 2011

On 11/06/11 21:06, (:techitone:) wrote:
> In my experience when I speak with people about trying, or even switching
> to, Ubuntu there is always a stumbling block with the name 'Ubuntu' and the
> names of all the releases, Dapper Drake, Hardy Heron, Karmic Koala, Lucid
> Lynx, Maverick Meerkat, Natty Narwhal. They just seem to 'switch off' to the
> whole idea of it.

A name is a brand identity and it simply depends on marketing and how
it is sold. How silly is it  to have a camera called Canon? A computer
called Windows?  A drink called coke? Shoes called Nike? Ipod?? Lucky
Goldstar (LG)?

How much professional marketing is done for the brand 'Ubuntu'?

I am in close contact with a user population just like yours, Joe and
Jill. An elderly friend I help calls it 'Ubunti' and who cares? I do
not. The important point is that they do not want to use Windows!
(which is also on their machine).

I gave a recycled Ubuntu PC to someone yesterday, who arrived with a
black (English born) friend. The friend was interested and had simply
not been aware of anything like Ubuntu, only Windows. They had enough
African knowledge to know what the ubuntu  philosophy meant. They even
knew that my anglicised pronunciation was wrong (You buntu) and were a
bit amused......

BTW,  I  *never* talk to Joe and Jill about names of versions, at all.
  Usually I would not even say what the version *number* was. If you
find the names etc are 'too much information'  what about not offering
so much detail, it sounds as if it is not welcomed anyway?

--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user