[ubuntu-uk] What's in a name?

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Sat Jun 11 21:13:03 UTC 2011

On 11/06/11 21:06, (:techitone:) wrote:

> Windows is a familiar word. It's releases have progressive names,
> Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7. They sound cool.
not to me, they sound confused. 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP,
Vista, 7. That is a complete and utter mess, far from progressive it
totally fails to form any kind of coherent progression.

> Mac OS X 'sounds' cool. Its big cat release names sound powerful. Lion
> is soon to be released and is very cheap. This is cool.
Well Oneiric Ocelot is a big cat name, although I suspect "Oneiric" will
perplex and befuddle the vocabulary challenged. Anyhow, once released it
should in theory be referred to by the release number, e.g. Ubuntu 11.04.

Alan