[ubuntu-uk] Kindle and Ubuntu

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Thu Jun 9 15:17:52 UTC 2011

On 9 June 2011 08:04, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On 9 June 2011 15:59, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
> > Any comments about how 'compatible' a Kindle will be with Ubuntu?
>
> Install Calibre, use it. Don't worry about it.
>
> > What functions of the product might be a problem?
>
> None.
>
> Al.

I have a kindle and it works just fine, it shows up as a Kindle icon on the
desktop when I plug it into my Ubuntu 11.04 laptop.  I have used Ubuntu to
copy across pdf and mp3 files (music and audio books).

There are well named directories for the different types of files, documents
for pdfs, audiable for mp3 audio books and music for playing random tracks
when reading your books.  The only fiddly aspect of all this is organising
everything you have added to the kindle, on the kindle itself.  You can put
everything in one or more categories, but it seems to be one file at a time
so can be quite time consuming for adding split audio books.

3G option allows you to download books when you are not connected to a WiFi
network, it is not intended for use for browsing the Internet.  I have not
seen the need for a 3G version as 3G will also use a lot of battery power.

Thank you.
--
<http://uk.linkedin.com/in/johnstevenson247>John
Stevenson<http://uk.linkedin.com/in/johnstevenson247>| Public