[ubuntu-uk] Simple backup script

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:07:03 UTC 2011

On Jun 2, 2011 5:50 PM, <bodsda at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I would say it depends on what you mean by 'wrong'
>
> I handle the backups for a local government, so yes, that is wrong, very
wrong.

I know where you're coming from. I think the list has quite a few  public
sector members in various capacities ;-)

> But it depends what you need it for. If you are happy with the retention
that that gives you, then that's fine.

Sorry. I've probably given you the wrong impression. Data from the backup
directory would be backed up too another box. That box in turn is backed up
elsewhere. 7 days is the local retention only.

> The only suggestion I would make is that you should create the backup
first, and only if the backup is created successfully should you delete the
old one

Again, my fault, but the final script would run validation checks. I was
basically asking if people use find rather than over complicating things as
I've seen elsewhere. I wouldn't use that script as is.

Chris