[ubuntu-uk] Simplicity Computers

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:57:20 UTC 2011

On 28 July 2011 11:03, Simon Greenwood <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 July 2011 10:53, Mark Fraser <ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> In my local weekly newspaper there is an article about Simplicity
>> Computers
>> and Wessex Computers www.simplicitycomputers.co.uk. They are providing an
>> AIO
>> computer based on Mint with their own user interface. The FAQ page is
>> worth a
>> read.
>>

> This company launched earlier this year I think.

We actually launched at the end of 2009 and started shipping machines
in December of that year.

However, we're relaunching now with our own in-house developed front
end, although still running on top of Linux Mint. We did approach Mark
Shuttleworth about using Ubuntu, but sadly, as our front-end is not
FOSS, he refused us permission. Mint were happy to work with us, in
contrast.

> The trick for those who
> get roped into home support will be to stop Grandad randomly buying a
> printer/scanner and make sure that he gets someting supportable.

We install the latest HPLIP drivers into CUPS, so any current HP
should just work. We also have put in some tweaks to help with certain
Epsons and we have had it working with Canon Pixma printers as well.
In principle, anything that works with the latest Ubuntu LTS will work
with our box. Remote-control is built in so we'll try to get
customers' own printers working if we can.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com