[ubuntu-uk] UK Providers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 19:42:36 UTC 2011

On 26/07/11 20:07, Ted Wager wrote:
> Anyone tell me if it is possible for an isp  to cut down
> the download rate for one of it's clients ?

Yes, with traffic management, traffic shaping, or just generally
limiting the speed.

When I was with Eclipse a few years ago they did just that, I had a line
that synced at 2Mbit/sec but paid for a 1Mbit service, so the speed ran
at just over 1Mbit generally, although I had the option to pay to boost
the speed to the full 2Mbit when I wished for a small fee (something
like 5p an hour or something), in the end I just opted to upgrade to the
2Mbit.

So yeah it is possible.

Rob