[ubuntu-uk] Graphics - sorry, boring

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:59:28 UTC 2011

On 24 July 2011 17:33, suprengr <suprengr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Whilst I know this a boring [probably asked a 100 times before]
> question: here we go:
>
> Just had the final insult from only having on-board graphics.
> I installed Proun on my [sorry about this but] Mint partition - I use
> Mint for such things as Wine because I do not want to "pollute" my
> Ubuntu install or expose it to a Windoze structure for nasties.
>
> Proun installed 100% OK but only picks up "very low" graphics mode.
> Tried it on my [for support reasons] Windoze partition and a complete
> fail re graphics - a surprise 'coz it deals with on-board slightly
> better for games - but not surprised anyway.
>
> So... time to get a graphics card me reckons...  but which one is
> currently best per £ on an Ubuntu pooter? [as despite other partitions
> that's what my pooter really is]
>
> Pooter is a Dell Dimension E520 with slots to spare [for what it's
> worth].

Something Nvidia, say a GeForce 210 or 220, with 1GB RAM, should cost less
than £30. I have a 210 running Unity across two monitors quite happily at
the moment although I don't use it for games. You're probably looking at
doble that for something more games oriented.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"Is this your sanderling?"